The Brown Girl Chronicles: Black Panther Movie Watching Experience


This past weekend was the opening weekend for the Black Panther movie.

I was fortunate enough to get tickets during opening weekend and experience this cinematic masterpiece. And although the movie was amazing in all its glory, filled with pop culture references to and its commentary on disparities of being black in the United States - my Black Panther movie experience was interesting, to say the least...

I live in a small city in Pennsylvania - and if you know anything about Pennsylvania, it is by no means the pinnacle of diverse places in the U.S. (except for Philadelphia).  Fortunately, my little town is very diverse but we're surrounded by white suburbs.

I was too late in grabbing tickets to see it in the city theater so I was left with going to the 'burbs to see Black Panther. Although I was a bit worried to be surrounded by white people to see a Black superhero movie I was still excited to experience the greatness of the film.

From start to finish the film had my full interest, although I didn't expect it to be as comical as it was I found that whenever there was a joke in reference to white people no one in the theater was laughing except me.

I couldn't help but feel a weird tension in the air when Shuri said "Don't scare me colonizer" to Agent Ross. Within the whole context of the movie, Wakanda being an uncolonized African country, it seemed like all the white people in the theater were like "yikes".

In general, it felt like everyone in the theater for the first time had been challenged about their whiteness through the characters in this movie but no one really wanted to accept it. Although it wasn't quite the movie experience I was hoping for, I definitely think it was thought-provoking as well as entertaining.

Did you watch Black Panther? Let me know how your movie watching experience went.

Also, check out this article I wrote for Buzzfeed Community on Why Black Panther Is Important to the AfroLatinx Community.

Popular posts from this blog

Part Three: Scolarships

Part Two: College Admission Tests

2022 Quarantine Chronicles