Thursday Thoughts: Looks are Everything


I have a confession to make...

I have a baby face! Yes, it's true! Probably not what you were expecting me to say but it's true! My youthful looking face coupled with my short stature makes for a perfect excuse for everyone to mistake me for a sixteen-year-old.

I am nineteen.

Every time someone questions how old I am I feel like Penelope Disick being hit in the face by a car door. Last month I started a new job at a marketing firm as an intern. And as any new job goes, you mingle with as many people as you can to get to know who you'll be working with.

During my first week, I went out with some of my colleagues for a walk around the block. Our days usually consist of sitting behind a computer. So going for a walk to stretch our legs sounded like a great idea, plus getting some fresh air is always nice.

While we were on our walk small talk sparked and we all were talking just trying to get to know each other. Then one guy turns to me and asks "What grade are you in?" I say that I'm a sophomore in college and he looks confused and asks "So you're not in high school?" Nope.

This is just one example of a day in my life. It's exhausting and I don't see it getting better especially next year when I turn 21 (I will definitely get carded). Most people say that I should be grateful for looking young and that I will 'appreciate it when I get older'.

One thing those people don't realize is at a certain point unsolicited comments on my appearance become nuanced and start to take a toll on my psyche.

There are only so many times I can hear "Really?! Wow, you look younger!" Yea, you're not the first person to say that! But such is life. We live in a world where people are judged based on their looks and will forever be patronized for it.

Popular posts from this blog

Part Three: Scolarships

Part Two: College Admission Tests

2022 Quarantine Chronicles