Year in Review: 2018

We made it through the first month of 2019! This year has been off to a great start but I've had time to reflect on the past year and I wanted to point out some highs and lows of the last year.


  • Taking Time Off
The beginning of 2018 started off with me, not in school. The previous semester was very difficult me, mental health wise, and I decided to take some time off of school to focus on myself and relax and rejuvenate. I thought it was the best time in my life to take time off. This is the only time in my life where I don't have any major responsibilities and I can just relax and try to figure out my life.

It was definitely scary and I know I felt a wave of uncertainty and failure. I had days where I thought about being a college dropout and not being able to be strong enough to stay in school but I realized that prioritizing my mental health was a brave move and I should be proud of that. I was also lucky to have my parents' support through this time in my life.
  • Old Favorites
Throughout the 8 months that I took off of school (a semester plus the summer). I feel like I found myself again, as cliched as that sounds. I got to rediscover my hobbies like scrapbooking and reading. I also got to binge-watch all of the tv shows on my list guilt free! I even started a book club at my job with a few of my coworkers, which was such a fun time!
  • New Favorites
Again, most of 2018 was spent in my hometown, not at school. I was able to rediscover old things but also discover new things. I recently discovered Kehlani which was one of the best things of 2018! I also discovered Indie music, I have a Good Vibes playlist on Spotify that is filled with some great songs. I also got in touch with my creative side and started collaging and painting.
  • Re-adjustment
So I always knew I wanted to go back to school although MANY people said that once I was out of school that I wouldn't want to go back. Although, those people obviously don't know me as well as they think. I do anything I set my mind to and that includes getting my degree!

Going back to school after 8 months was a little jarring at first and was definitely an adjustment period but I got through it. After such a long time away it was like muscle memory, being a college student requires a certain set of skills and acquiring those skills were challenging to get back up and running.
  • New & Old Friends
Throughout this past year I have gotten to meet so many great people through my job that I had for the first 8 months of the year and during my fall semester back at school. During my time at the coworking space that I was able to interact with so many entrepreneurs that were real adults. They had jobs that they were passionate about and that inspired them which was refreshing to see people living out their best lives.

My co-workers became my friends and we hung out and talked and helped each other grow. I am so glad I was able to meet them and have them in my life. Going back to school was also refreshing because I got to meet new friends and reunite with old pals. This past year was filled with lots of love.
  • Mental Health
This year was a journey with my mental health. I took a semester off of school to navigate my depression and anxiety. While at school I was feeling very overwhelmed and decided it best to take some time off and focus on myself which I felt was the best move for me.

Throughout the past year, I was able to navigate my mental health and decided that going to therapy and taking medication for my depression was the best option. Since doing this I have seen vast improvements in my mood and the way I interact with others around me.

Full disclosure I am not a medical professional and I am sharing my personal experience about my mental health.

I just want to end this by saying that it doesn't matter what you're going through there is always something to be grateful for and you will grow from this.

Happy Black History Month!

Popular posts from this blog

Part Three: Scolarships

Part Two: College Admission Tests

2022 Quarantine Chronicles