Democratic National Convention: Day In The Life



A popular topic this year is the election for the next President of the United States. This year's election seems to be the most intense and most important election year to date. This year I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to cover the DNC through Motivos Magazine.

I am not here to display my personal views on the election but rather share my experience about my first day and how YOU can become aware and educated to make an informed decision on who you want as President.

\

I live fairly closely to the convention, so I am traveling every morning to downtown Philadelphia. Today I attended the Hispanic Caucus, which is a meeting with political figures (that is open to the public) discussing important issues that need to be addressed in our country today. This caucus brought light to many things that are going on within the Hispanic community.


At this Caucus I got to see Rosie Perez, an accomplished Latina actress, who moderated a panel. The panel discussed several topics from immigration, zika virus and even the political state of Puerto Rico. As a Hispanic-American, this Caucus helped to educate me in areas that I wasn't even aware of.

One topic that was also discussed in the panel was about the distinct divide within the Hispanic Community. East Coast resides with a majority of Puerto Ricans and the West Coast with Mexicans. A point that was made numerous times, was that Trump is often criticized for calling Mexicans racial slurs. Within the Hispanic community, the divide comes with identity. Often times we are so attached to the nationality name that we forget that we are all in this together. 

We need to realize that when someone calls one Hispanic group a name, they are calling ALL Hispanics that name. We need to learn to mend this divide and address the key issues within our communities. This convention seems to strive to have a progressive message that strives for change.

Speaking of the Democratic message, I encourage you to look at the Democratic platform and learn about what the democratic party plans to reform, change and support.


Becoming informed about what your party stands for is crucial, knowing what you're supporting will make you informed person and ease your choice in who your are voting for.

I'll be back tomorrow, day one, three more to go!

Live ~Laugh~Love 

Popular posts from this blog

Part Three: Scolarships

Part Two: College Admission Tests

2022 Quarantine Chronicles