WHO AM I?



During this lovely holiday break I have still been applying to colleges. On most applications schools will ask short response questions to get a sense of what kind of student you are. One of the schools I applied to asked me a question that took me by surprise. Not because it was challenging or confusing but the level of depth that the answer could hold, was astounding to me (also the fact that they only gave me a maximum of 200 words).

"If you were to write the story of your life until now, what would you title it and why?"

​My Secret Life ​would be the title of my life up until now. As a person I feel that I am very bubbly and energetic, friendly and open-minded. I am always eager to learn new things and explore different places but as a person I also tend to hide some things I feel ashamed of or too embarrassed to talk about. I put up a facade for my friends to look at but I never reveal my whole self. Although I have some pretty amazing friends I never get to show them who I truly am, partly because I'm not too sure myself. As I continue on through my Senior year of high school I am beginning to find out who I am as a person; what my morals are, my sense of style in the way I dress and the way I handle my emotions. I am so proud of the person that I have become but I wish everyone could know who I truly am.

Above is the piece that I submitted to the college, with only the allowance of 200 words maximum, I feel like there was so much more that I could have expanded on.

In this day and age especially I feel like there are so many aspects that make up a person as an individual, that the sense of oneself is lost from being split into so many different directions.

There are some things I feel like I should clarify....

When I speak about putting up a facade for my friends, I mean that there are certain thing like my financial issues or personal things going on at home that I wouldn't feel comfortable discussing with them. And if your saying "Well if they're your friends you should feel comfortable" but this is not always the case because some of my friends were raised differently than me so their view points on things wouldn't be relevant to my situation. Also some of my friends have different morals than I do which can become a tough situation when in social environments.

In terms of never showing my true self......during Freshman year of high school I hardly knew anyone. I felt so out of place. Most of the people that were around me had known each other for years and here I am the odd ball out. When I first meet new people I tend to be shy and hide in a shell, I don't like expressing myself or being overly flamboyant with people I hardly know. But as I become more familiar with you I come out of my shell and become the kind, bubbly and energetic person I am.

But at the start of high school the people around me seemed to be in a certain mold and I felt like I had to become apart of that mold just to be seen or relevant. I changed who I was just to make friends. And as it would seem, I no longer talk to those people that I tried to fit in the mold with. When I look back it seems to be all or nothing, but as my best friend would say ''it was a learning experience''.

Now halfway through senior year I can truly see myself, being myself. I have lost friends 'here and there' which sucks, but the true people stay until the end. And I am so glad that I've come to this realization because I have gotten the chance to make so many new friends and meet so many interesting people. I am breaking out of the mold I put myself into three years ago.

I am finally being myself, and you know what? IT'S GREAT!


Hope you enjoyed reading about who I am....
Live ~Laugh~Love 

Popular posts from this blog

Part Three: Scolarships

Part Two: College Admission Tests

2022 Quarantine Chronicles