Querido Papito....


Ama la gente que Dios te dio porque un dia el va necesitarlo paratras.

I wanted to write this blog post in Spanish to honor my late grandfather who passed on Thursday may 12, 2016. He was a man born and raised in Puerto Rico. He moved to the U.S. at the ripe age of 20 with my grandmother. They moved to the Bronx in New York State. For the next 10 years, they were back and forth between Puerto Rico and New York. Before they settled in the Bronx then moved to southern Pennsylvania where they eventually stayed. My abuelo wasn't the perfect man on the planet but he tried and did what he could. He was a great person to all of his grandkids. I know he is in a better place now.

For the past few weeks, he had suffered from strokes and had been in and out of the hospital. It wasn't necessarily a surprise that he passed but it still wasn't something that anyone was expecting to happen so soon. After his last hospital visit, he was put into a home where he could receive 24-hour care. Since he was placed in the home he didn't eat anything and just laid in bed staring at the ceiling. When we spoke to him he would respond but he didn't move much.

Years ago my abuelo suffered from an accident and lost part of his leg just below his knee. Ever since I can remember he's had a prosthetic leg. I have the fondest memory of one summer when I was about 4 or 5 years old. My grandma had bought a pool for all of the grandkids to play in. I remember I was in the pool with some of my cousins and my grandpa had come out to play with us and he took off his leg. I remember screaming and running away while he chased me and laughed. 

Years after this my abuelo was put in a wheelchair due to other medical complications. There was a brief moment where he lost his ability to speak, form words or sentences. These past few years my abuelo has endured so much and has suffered greatly. I am happy that he doesn't have to suffer anymore.

Te amo Papito.

Live ~Laugh~Love 

Popular posts from this blog

Part Three: Scolarships

Part Two: College Admission Tests

During a Pandemic: VOTING 101 (Part 2)